I know what you’re thinking: where was this dip a couple of days ago, when I was planning my Superbowl party?
Believe me when I say I really wanted to share this with you before now; but I couldn’t, because this month’s Secret Recipe Club reveal was not until today. Don’t wait until next year’s Superbowl to make this caramelized red onion dip, though- it’s much too terrific to put off for that long :)
This dip is just slightly adapted from Melissa over at my SRC blog for this month: A Fit and Spicy Life. Melissa blogs about food, fitness, travel, and wine from her home in Minneapolis, and I had a hard time choosing which of her recipes to try because there were so many tempting options.
As soon as I saw her onion dip, however, I was sold. I’ve never made homemade onion dip before and was curious how it would compare to the kind I used to make with packaged soup mix and sour cream way back when. I have to say that my whole family enjoyed this, and I love that it’s so easy to make and so much healthier than typical onion dip. Thank you Melissa: I’m definitely putting this into my party foods rotation.
Recipe for Caramelized Red Onion Dip
- *3 tablespoons olive oil
- *1 large red onion peeled and chopped
- *3 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- *1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- *fresh thyme leaves from 3 sprigs
- *1/2 cup organic Greek yogurt
- *1/2 cup crème fraîche I make my own "diy" version or organic sour cream
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and thyme, and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are nicely caramelized. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- 2. Place onions in blender or food processor and add yogurt and crème fraîche (or sour cream). Process briefly (you want the dip to stay a little chunky), then transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight (the dip will thicken up during this time).
- 3. Serve with raw vegetables (I like to use baby carrots, celery sticks, and endive), crackers, pita wedges, or all natural chips.