Well, we made it through
Hurricane Tropical Storm Irene in one piece. I feel so lucky that we didn’t have any damage to our property and we never lost power…a big hooray for that! Much of my town is flooded, however, so we’re still pretty much holed up here at home until the water recedes…
I got an email this afternoon asking me if I’d fill in for a blogger who’d backed out of The Secret Recipe Club. It stinks to be “orphaned” in the club- to not have anyone make a recipe from your blog- so I was happy to help as long as I wouldn’t need to run to the store to do so (impossible today due to flooding). The blog I was assigned was Samayal Arai and author Jayasri posts many delicious looking recipes. I would have made one of her more complicated Indian dishes, but being short on time and having limited ingredients available, I chose to re-create her Mango Milk Shake.
I decided to add some yogurt and spices, thereby turning this into a pretty classic lassi. I used frozen mango because I had some in the freezer but you could definitely use fresh mango instead. While I thought it was perfectly sweet without adding any sweetener, you can add a little organic sugar or honey, if you like. You could change up the flavor by adding some berries, and some fresh mint would be nice in here, as well.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- *1 1/2 cups frozen mango cubes I used frozen mango from Trader Joe's
- *1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- *1/2 cup milk I used organic whole milk
- *1-2 pinches of ground cardamom
- *1-2 pinches of ground ginger
- *1 pinch of fine Himalayan or sea salt
- *minced crystallized ginger for garnish- optional
- Process all ingredients in a high speed blender (I use a blendtec) until smooth. Taste and adjust spices; you may also add more yogurt and/or milk, if you like.