This Egg-Free Aioli (garlic mayonnaise) will blow your mind! It tastes JUST like the real thing, but it’s completely vegan! There’s a magic ingredient here that makes all the difference… hint, it’s SUPER common. Read on to find out how to make it!
Let’s get straight into it. The magic ingredient in this vegan aioli is chickpea water… or aquafaba. Now if you’re sitting there thinking… what?! Then just bear with me. If you’ve been throwing away the water from a can of chickpeas for years, then you’re missing out on one of the best, and most powerful egg replacers ever!
The science behind it all (geek moment) is still being researched, but the proteins found in aquafaba seem to mimic those found in egg whites, so when used in the same proportions, they have the same effect.
Homemade mayonaisse is one of the easiest things in the world to make, and this vegan aioli is a wonderful addition to a sandwich. I promise NONE of your non vegan friends would know the difference if you didn’t tell them this mayo was vegan.
Let’s jump straight into the recipe and method…
The Best Egg-Free Aioli
- 3 tbsp aquafaba liquid drained from a can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (236 ml) vegetable oil or any other kind of flavourless oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Add the aquafaba, vinegar, mustard and salt to a bowl and blitz for a second with an immersion blender so everything is combined.
- Keep the immersion blender running constantly and VERY slowly drizzle in the oil, making sure it is fully combined as you go. If you add it too fast, the whole thing will turn liquidy and isn’t redeemable. If you find you’re getting a bit of oil on the top, stop adding the oil and just blend for a little while before continuing.
- The mayonnaise will suddenly turn thick. Once all the oil is combined and thoroughly mixed. Add in the lemon juice and garlic and mix thoroughly.