One of the easiest meal options ever is stir fry. But it can get boring, am I right? There are absolutely 1000’s of delicious stir fry recipes out there, but sometimes it can feel a bit too much like rice, veggies, rice, veggies. This stir fry replaces rice with light, fluffy coconut buns which take just minutes to make and are absolutely delicious!
You probably already have everything you need to make these coconut buns sitting in your cupboard right now! All you need is some coconut milk, flour and baking powder, and bam, steamed coconut buns. Absolute perfection. I love using these buns to wipe up as much of the deliciously sweet, salty sauce as possible! Can we take a minute to talk about this sauce? I first tried combining soy sauce and maple syrup a few years ago when a friend recommended it, and ever since I have been OBSESSED. There is something about the intense saltiness of the soy sauce, complimented by the sweet maple syrup, that creates a sauce so addictive that I could eat it by the spoonful. We all know how well sweet and salty go together from these brownies – it’s a combination that just works.
I wish I could have you all over for dinner to make this, there is SO much flavour in it, every mouthful has something different. You could swap out the veggies with whatever you like, think of this recipe as a suggestion. If you have a passion for carrots, or a longing for bok choy, please go ahead an add them! What are some of your favourites? I would have loved to add some bok choy if I had been able to find any in the supermarket. Sad face. Nevermind!
How beautiful and bright are those pepperocini’s? I saw them in the grocery store and knew they had to be part of this stir fry. I decided to grill these on a griddle pan so that they took on the most delicious charred taste, the kind that only grilling can give! Spoon over some of that silky sauce and you’ve got a winner.
[cta id=”2723″ align=”none”]
Green Stir Fry with Two Ingredient Steamed Coconut Buns
Coconut buns adapted from Jamie Oliver
For the Coconut Buns
1/2 Can Coconut Milk
250g All Purpose Flour
1 and 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
For the Stir Fry
2-3 Large Handfuls of Green Beans
1 Head Broccoli
Sugar Snap Peas
4 – 6 Colourful small peppers
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 Clove Garlic
3cm Piece of Ginger
5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and coconut milk and blitz until it comes together in a dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
2. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a sausage shape. Cut into 6 equal pieces and roll into balls. Place each dough ball into a muffin liner (double line them) and evenly place them in the basket of a steamer. Cover with the lid and steam for 12-15 minutes until puffy and cooked through.
3. Chop all the greens for the stir fry. Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok and add the vegetables. Fry on a high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the Garlic and ginger and continue to cook until all the vegetables are cooked through.
4. Mix the soy sauce and maple syrup in a separate bowl and add to the frying pan. Cook until just hot.
5. Serve everything immediately while piping hot.