This Thai Coconut Soup is a simple yet flavorful meal that can be prepared quickly. It is one of my favorite healthy soup recipes.
Coconut milk is a healthy fat that makes food taste incredibly rich and delicious.
I made the soup with wild fish (wondering what kind to buy? check out healthiest fish). You can leave out the fish and use organic chicken instead, or you can substitute sauteed tempeh for the protein in this soup.
You could also just make it with additional veggies if you are looking for a vegetarian appetizer or snack. Remember to use local/organic ingredients whenever possible.
Thai Coconut Soup
use local and organic ingredients whenever possible
- 2 Tb. organic coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots cleaned and chopped
- *1 large white potato or sweet potato cleaned and chopped
- *1 1/2 cups water or homemade or store-bought chicken, fish or vegetable stock
- *1 cup organic whole coconut milk
- *2 wild fish fillets approx. 4 oz. each --I used wild mahi mahi or 2 organic chicken breasts (4 oz. each)
- *1 cup fresh frozen, or canned organic peas
- *2 cups packed baby spinach leaves or any other chopped leafy green such as kale or bok choy
- *1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- *Himalayan or sea salt
- *squeeze of lemon and/or 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro and/or basil for garnish--optional
- 1. Heat coconut oil in a small pot. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent and very fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- 2. Add carrot, and potatoes and cook for a few more minutes. Add water or stock and coconut milk, and bring to a boil.
- 3. Add fish or chicken and cover the pot. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the fish/chicken are cooked through. Remove fish or chicken from the pot and allow to cool.
- 4. Add the peas and the spinach or other greens to the soup and simmer for a few minutes. Slice the fish or chicken into smaller pieces and add back into the soup. Season with salt to taste, and garnish with the fresh lemon juice and herbs before serving, if desired.