It’s cold outside, but that doesn’t mean we need to kiss salad goodbye. Using seasonal root vegetables, we are creating a super healthy, super hearty salad that you can enjoy equally warm or cold!
I chose to use violet sweet potatoes (my new love this year), and a less common root parsley in this salad, but you can substitute any root vegetables which you like for roasting.
The most important thing is that you keep the cubes roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
Root parsley looks just like a parsnip, but it has a delicate flavor similar to a turnip.
It complements the sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly.
Wheat berries make a nice carbohydrate change to the usual rice and pasta as well.
Wheat berries are a naturally extremely healthy carbohydrate, in Switzerland, I bought mine from the popular brand “Ebly”.
They should be pretty easy to get hold of but if not, substitute brown rice instead.
I found boiling the wheat berries in vegetable stock added a nice, subtle flavor.
So don’t let salad be boring! Try this hearty salad for a hearty winter treat!
Roasted Vegetable Winter Salad with Wheat Berries
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 parsley root
- 1 violet sweet potato small
- 4-6 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 4 oz wheatberries dried
- 34 oz vegetable stock
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 rocket handful
- Preheat the oven to 374⁰ F (190⁰ C). Chop the butternut squash, the root parsely, the violet sweet potato and the chestnut mushrooms into 1/2 inch squares. Coat in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, the dried rosemary and thyme, season with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, boil 34 oz. of vegetable stock in a saucepan, add the wheat berries and boil for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Finely dice the shallots and saute on a low heat in a frying pan until caramelised. Once golden, add the lemon juice, olive oil and wheat berries and cook for a few minutes to allow the wheatberries to absorb a little dressing.
- Add in the roasted vegetables and mix to combine evenly. Finally add the rocket into the pan and stir to wilt just slightly.
- Serve immediately!