This is a lovely recipe that comes from herbalist Kiva Rose.
This is a simple home remedy preparation that is excellent for sore throat, as well as other types of inflammation, including digestive inflammation. This rose petal elixir is also a good remedy for heart palpitations and other cardiac issues. This elixir can also be taken in very small amounts (like Rescue Remedy) for anxiety and fatigue, and, when used externally, it is a useful herbal remedy for insect bites.
Allow to sit in a cool, dark place for 3-6 weeks before using. If you don’t want to use alcohol, you can just make a rose petal honey. Rose petal honey is a delicious topping for bread, fruit, yogurt, ice cream, etc!
References and Related Links:
More info about the usage of rose from Kiva
Herbalist Susun Weed’s rose musings
Nature’s Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
Rose Petal Elixir
- *1 pint Mason jar
- *Fresh wild or domestic rose petals to fill your jar make sure they have not been sprayed!
- *a little less than 1 pint of good quality brandy I used an apple brandy made by a local vineyard; vodka willl also work
- *approximately 1/3 pint of raw honey more if you are using only honey and no alcohol
- 1. Fill your jar with fresh rose petals. They don't have to be packed down, but they should fill the jar so that there isn't a lot of empty space.
- 2. If you don't have enough rose petals to fill the jar, you could add some bee balm petals, chopped fresh ginger, zest of orange, lime, or lemon, etc.
- 3. Next, add honey to coat the rose petals and fill about 1/3 of the jar. Add brandy or other alcohol to the top of the jar. Place plastic wrap over the top and then screw on your metal lid.