Make homemade toothpowder as an alternative to commercial toothpastes that contain synthetic chemicals and unhealthy sweeteners.
I was pleasantly surprised by the results when I made this homemade toothpowder recipe. The ingredients are inexpensive, it took less than a minute to put together, and I have enough to last me a long time. Best of all, though, I love how it makes my teeth feel- truly clean.
Basic Toothpowder Recipe
- *2 parts baking soda
- *1 part high quality all natural salt (such as is Celtic salt or Himalayan salt). Make sure to use a finely ground (not coarse) salt so that it does not damage your enamel)
- I used 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup of salt. It seemed so plain so I tossed in some ground cinnamon (about 1/2 tsp.), but you could add some peppermint or spearmint essential oil for flavor instead (start with 2-4 drops and add more to taste- I'm going to buy some and add it). Cinnamon essential oil can be used instead of ground cinnamon, as well.
- To use, wet your toothbrush and dip it in the toothpowder. If it tastes way too salty, add a bit more baking soda. Brush as usual and you will see how smooth and healthy your teeth feel!
- In order to turn it into healthy homemade toothpaste, you can add several tablespoons of vegetable glycerin or liquified coconut oil. Add the liquid slowly and mix well until you get the consistency you desire. (Note that I haven't tried this because I like the toothpowder just fine).
- Store your toothpowder or toothpaste in an airtight container in your bathroom. It lasts indefinitely.