Creamy oatmeal topped with grated apple, toasted hazelnuts and some sweet brown sugar. Try this super simple recipe for a great, wholesome breakfast!
I recently took a trip to the incredible 26 Grains in London’s Neal’s Yard.
It’s a cute little place (well, tiny) and they serve more delicious breakfast foods than you can imagine.
The long wait was totally worth it for the steaming bowl of sweet hazelnutty oatmeal that arrived.
I knew I had to try and recreate it at home as Switzerland to London is just a bit too much of a commute for breakfast!
I used my signature basic oatmeal recipe to create the base, (you can watch a video tutorial on exactly how I make it here), adding a knob of butter at the end.
Oh man, that butter just adds a hint of smooth creaminess and saltiness, it’s just divine.
Definitely on the indulgent side, but hey, it’s allowed sometimes, right?
The excellent, crisp grated apple and the crunchy toasted hazelnuts are the perfect complement to this smooth, creamy base.
It’s definitely helping to keep my cravings at bay until I can next go back to London!
Hazelnut and Butter Oatmeal
- 1 cup whole grain rolled oats
- 3 cups water
- almond milk
- 1 tbsp salted butter use a vegan butter to make this completely vegan
- 1 apple grated
- hazelnuts chopped and toasted, handful
- brown sugar
- Add the oats and water to a large saucepan and heat on a low heat whilst stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and simmer the oatmeal for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the almond milk and stir until combined. For thicker oatmeal, add less almond milk and for more runny oatmeal add more. Lastly stir in the butter.
- Top with the apple, hazelnuts and a sprinkling of brown sugar.
- Serve immediately.