Start your mornings with this hearty bowl of savory oatmeal with figs, pine nuts, and feta. It’s perfect for anyone looking to spice up your morning oatmeal bowl.
Breakfast is arguably one of the most important meals of the day and finding something that is both filling, easy and delicious can be difficult. That’s where this recipe comes in and dare I say it’s the goldilocks of oatmeal porridge.
The flavorful harmony of figs, pine nuts, and feta really brings your oatmeal game to the next level. The secret is cooking the porridge with the figs to infuse its flavor. The feta adds a great balance and brings out the natural flavor of the dish while the pine nuts give it this delicious crunch!
This is a great recipe to have when you’re craving a warming breakfast bowl. Just heat the oatmeal with figs, garnish, and enjoy! Looking for it to last longer or plan ahead? Try having it as overnight oats and place it in a mason jar to enjoy the next morning.
Here’s why you’ll love Savory Oatmeal with Figs, Pine Nuts and Feta
- Quick and Easy. While the oatmeal cooks, all the rest of the ingredients can be prepped, making it a recipe completed in 10 minutes or less.
- Easily customizable. If you have any dietary restrictions this is great as oatmeal works really well with other substitutions. Not a fan of gluten? Try gluten free oats. Can’t have dairy? Spinach or mushrooms can help enhance the savory element of the dish.
- High in fiber. Figs help improve digestion and oatmeal is rich in fiber making it a stomach-friendly dish that can ease your digestive system.
How to Make Savory Oatmeal with Figs, Pine Nuts, and Feta
This recipe has few ingredients but they carry a lot of flavor. Together they balance each other and leave you with a delicious taste in every bite. Here are the key ingredients that make the dish.
- Rolled Oats. A neutral base which you can substitute with your favorite style of oats.
- Figs. This highly nutritious fruit is rich in fiber, and potassium, and helps aid in your digestion.
- Pine nuts. A natural crunch to the dish with many health benefits as well.
- Feta. A nutritious addition that adds a lot of savory impact to the dish.
- Cook your oatmeal. In a saucepan add oats, figs, and water, bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally for five minutes until well combined and water is absorbed. (Also, read our guide on how to make perfect oatmeal).
- Add your toppings. Pour oatmeal into a serving bowl, top with feta, and pine nuts. Season with black pepper.
- Garnish and serve. Drizzle olive oil, garnish with fresh chives and serve.
- Watch your water content when cooking the oatmeal. To ensure the best consistency, keep an eye out for how much water is being absorbed into the oatmeal. Too watery and it becomes mushy and too thick will cause some areas to burn. If you’re concerned, stir more frequently and immediately remove from the pot when it is the proper consistency.
- Feta has a high sodium content. This recipe doesn’t use salt as much of it will come from adding the feta to the recipe. If you’re opting for low sodium feta or a more neutral flavored feta, you may need to add some salt to the oatmeal during the cooking process.
Make-Ahead & Storage Recommendations
If you’re looking to make this ahead, try making it as overnight oats and adding all the ingredients to a mason jar, and let it sit overnight in a fridge. In the morning, heat your oatmeal in a microwave and serve. This is best enjoyed when it’s heated but can be enjoyed when stored in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Frequently Asked Question
Are figs good for breakfast?
In terms of flavor profile, they are very neutral in this recipe which is great for those who are concerned about the flavor. If you like figs, don’t be shy to add some more. As for nutrition, figs contain a lot of antioxidants and fiber.
Should you soak oatmeal before cooking?
Though it isn’t necessary for this dish, it certainly helps! Soaking your oats before eating them helps improve digestibility and leads to a creamier, fluffier texture.
Try These Other Oatmeal Recipes
- Chai Pumpkin Oatmeal – A delicious spiced oatmeal that is perfect for the colder seasons.
- Turmeric Oatmeal – A colorful and flavourful breakfast bowl for a super health kick.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup thick rolled oats
- 6 dried figs quartered
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts raw or lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives to taste
- In a saucepan add oats, figs, and water, bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally for five minutes until well combined and water is absorbed.
- Pour oatmeal into a serving bowl, top with feta and pine nuts. Season with black pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil, garnish with fresh chives and serve.