This blueberry green smoothie is a gorgeously purple and very satisfying healthy breakfast recipe that also happens to be incredibly nutrient-dense.
Blueberries are very high in antioxidants and I really love them. You could use any other seasonal, or frozen wild/organic berries in this healthy smoothie recipe, though.
I keep a large stash of berries and other fruits in the freezer at all times because my whole family loves smoothies. We have them for breakfast almost every day, especially when the weather is warm, because they are so easy to make and so yummy.
This blueberry green smoothie is dairy free and contains a few ingredients you might think are strange. If you are skeptical about the greens and the avocado, don’t worry: they generally go unnoticed because in these amounts, they don’t really change the color or the taste. Don’t skip them as they really enhance the nutritional profile here.
I typically add Greek yogurt or raw brown rice/whey protein powder or raw egg yolks to my smoothies for protein, because without the protein, I don’t usually feel full for long after a smoothie.
But lately I’ve been laying off the dairy and eating more raw foods (and I didn’t have any of the other ingredients in the house), so I was pleased to find this one worked for me (adding the greens, nuts, flax seeds and avocado definitely helps to mitigate the potentially blood-sugar-imbalancing effects of a fruit-only smoothie).
Recipe for Blueberry Green Smoothie
- *1 cup blueberries I use frozen wild blueberries
- *1/2 banana frozen
- *1 handful of raw pecans these can also be soaked in water overnight, and then drained; this makes them more digestible and makes the nutrients more "accessible"
- *1 cup coconut water from a young Thai coconut or from a package such as O.N.E brand, or use coconut milk
- *4 clean kale or baby bok choy leaves I used lacinato kale from my garden- yay!
- *2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- *flesh from 1/4-1/3 avocado- optional makes the smoothie a bit more creamy and rich
- *1-2 tsp. pure maple syrup- optional sweetens it a bit if needed
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender (such as a Blendtec or Vita-Mix) and process until smooth, adding additional ice or water, if needed, to produce a creamy, smooth consistency.