An earthy barley risotto cooked with beetroot and roasted carrots. There’s tons of flavour and texture going on here, it’s going to become a new favourite!
I have been DYING to share this recipe with you guys for a while now! I made this first a few weeks ago and have made it at least twice more since then, I just can’t get enough. I’m a big fan of risotto already (you’ll know from this lemon and edamame bean risotto), but this one is a bit unique because instead of traditional arborio rice, I’m using barley instead!
I love experimenting with different kinds of grains in dishes like this, because each one brings something different to the table. Barley has a slightly firmer texture than arborio rice, so this risotto still has a nice amount of bite, a nice contrast to the soft beetroot.
Topped with some sweet, roasted carrots, this is the ultimate healthy comfort food.
Beetroot Barley Risotto with Roasted Carrots
- 1 large Beetroot
- 1 small White Onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup (215g) Barley
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Dry Red Wine
- 4 1/4 cups (1 litre) Vegetable Stock
- 2-3 Carrots (any colour you like)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- First, wash and trim the beetroom, then place it in a saucepan of simmering water to cook for 30 minutes until soft. When done, remove from the water and allow to cool slightly before chopping into small chunks.
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. In a large stock pot, saute the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the barley and cook for 1-2 minutes until covered with the onion and garlic mixture. Pour in the red wine and allow the barley to absorb it completely.
- Start adding the vegetable stock one ladel at a time, allowing the barley to absorb all the stock before adding more. After 2 additions of stock, add in the beetroot, and repeat the process of adding stock, stiring and allowing it to absorb until all the stock is gone. This whole process will take anything from 30-50 minutes. The most important thing is not to rush it.
- While the risotto is cooking, heat the oven to 180°C and chop the carrots into chunks. Coat with the olive oil, maple syrup and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve the risotto topped with some carrots and fresh greens.
0 thoughts on “Beetroot Barley Risotto with Roasted Carrots”
Looks SUPER delicious and the colour is such fun!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much Kimberly! This has been one of my favourites so far! :D