A rich, vegan lentil mushroom soup with miso paste. A really delicious, hearty lunch that’s packed with beautiful flavours!
I think mushrooms, lentils and miso were secretly born to be together. Forget everything you know about miso only being a thing in Japanese cooking, it’s here to stay! Miso paste is basically made of fermented soy beans, it’s similar to soy sauce in terms of flavour, but more mellow and earthy.
When it’s paired with meaty mushrooms and hearty lentils, the result is a thick, rich and filling soup!
This is quite a thick soup by nature, so if you want it a little thinner once you’ve blended it, simply add a bit more vegetable stock. Top with some fresh parsley, toasted mushrooms and enjoy.
Mushroom and Lentil Soup with Miso
- 1 White Onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6-7 cups (500 g) Sliced Mushrooms
- 1.5 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 4 cups (950ml) Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Lentils
- 1 tbsp Miso Paste
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of a large stockpot. Prepare all the ingredients by slicing the mushrooms, dicing the onion, mincing the garlic and finely chopping the thyme.
- Start by sauteing the onion in the pan for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes until the mushrooms have reduced and most of the water they release is evapourated.
- Next add the thyme and stir through the mixture, letting it cook for a minute or two. Add the vegetable broth and the lentils, then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Blend the soup thoroughly, then stir in the miso paste. If the soup is too thick for you, just add some more vegetable stock until you have the consistency you like!
- Serve topped with some extra mushrooms and some fresh parsley.
0 thoughts on “Mushroom and Lentil Soup with Miso”
red or white miso? I have red miso, and it seems white miso is much more popular :/
We made this soup on Monday, although minus the miso (we subbed it with soy sauce) and it was SO DARN GOOD! I told all my friends and colleagues about it and they made it last night too.
I commented to my boyfriend when we were eating it that it was the best soup I had ever had! Thank you!
Sus // roughmeasures.com
That makes me SO happy Sus! Soy sauce has quite a similar flavour to miso! I’m so glad that you liked it so much!
Oh yum!!!! The earthiness of mushrooms, miso, and lentils together sounds absolutely fabulous!!! I am pinning this to make next week. LOVE smooth and creamy soups like this!
Yay! Hope you enjoy it Maria!
Miso is now one of my fridge staple ingedients. Love the idea of it with mushrooms and lentils. Delicious.
Tell me about it!! I always have a big pot in my fridge!
Lauren!! You’re pictures are absolutely stunning!! I don’t know how you made lentil soup look that delicious :)
Awww that’s so nice of you to say!! thank you! :D
The combination of mushrooms + miso sounds like an umami bomb!! Delicious!!
Hehe thanks Sarah! I absolutely LOVE this combo!
I love this easy recipe! The combo of mushrooms and miso is amazing – double the umami!
Thanks Nisha! It’s one of my favourites!