Recipe for Chai Tea
Makes 6 cups (approx. 3-4 servings)
- *2 organic English Breakfast tea bags
- *3 cups milk preferably raw (my choice) or organic (or try coconut milk or your favorite non-dairy milk for a vegan chai)
- *3 cups water
- *6 cardamom pods
- *6 whole cloves
- *4 whole star anise
- *4-6 small cinnamon sticks
- *4-6 slices fresh ginger about 1/4 inch each
- *1/4 cup ginger syrup leftover from making crystallized ginger, raw honey, agave syrup, or organic sugar
1. Heat water and milk to the point just before boiling.
2. Add the tea bags and all of the herbs/spices and turn off the heat.
3. Allow to infuse for 20-30 minutes, then add the sweetener and reheat before serving.
4. Pour chai through a fine mesh strainer into mugs. Serve on its own (or with the mini-gingerbread mug toppers which, by the way, are a really fun project to do with kids).