It’s August in New York and it’s really hot!
When the weather tops 90 degrees, it is really important to stay hydrated (especially if you are working, exercising, or otherwise spending time outside) and here is a great watermelon soup recipe for doing just that.
This watermelon soup with cucumber, lime and cilantro is cool and delicious. Watermelon and cucumber both have a very high water content, so this is ideal as a light snack before or after exercise. It also makes a quick healthy snack in between meals or a nice start to a summer meal.
Recipe for Watermelon Soup with Cucumber, Lime and Cilantro
- *approx. 3 cups of watermelon I used about 1/3 of a seedless mini watermelon
- *juice of 1/2 lime
- *1/4 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
- *pinch of Himalayan or sea salt- optional
- *1 small cucumber peeled if the skin is thick (and/or if it is not organic), and roughly chopped
- 1. Process your watermelon in a blender (I use a blendtec home blender) so that you have approximately 2 cups of puree.
- 2. Add the lime juice, the cilantro, the optional salt and blend again. Add the cucumber and blend briefly so that the cucumber is finely chopped into the soup (I like it when some chunks remain, but feel free to make this as smooth as you like). This is nice served in a hollowed out mini watermelon, or you can just sip it from your blender! Serves 1-2.