Vegan Chai Tea Lattes. Refined sugar free and ready in under 15 minutes! These tasty drinks are perfect for a crisp fall evening (or morning!)
Fall has literally hit us like a ton of bricks this year. I was ready for the end of summer (reluctantly) but this was literally like going to bed one summer night and waking up to fall. The air has really changed and got that cool crispness to it now.
I’m so glad I actually FEEL like drinking hot drinks now, and it gave me an excuse to FINALLY make these vegan chai tea lattes. Call it cliche, I don’t really care haha! This is my second year blogging, and last year I didn’t really do anything fall/christmas themed, and this year I’m totally ready for ALL those things. So be prepared for a few more pumpkin recipes – I promise they will be good ones!
Masala Chai (literally meaning chai tea) is a traditional and popular blend of warm spices, mixed with milky tea. It’s easily made vegan by simply replacing regular dairy milk with your favourite plant milk.
My favourite plant milk is oat milk. It’s arguably the healthiest and the most sustainable of all the plant milks, and I find it doesn’t curdle in hot drinks, making it perfect for this recipe! Of course you can use any kind you like, oat milk is just my choice.
Related: A complete guide to Non Dairy Milks
As I write this, I’m currently sat in a Starbucks in Zurich (another cliche, I know). But this time it feels like a milestone. This is my first trip out alone since my surgery nearly two weeks ago (I had my gallbladder removed on about 2 hours notice, read more about that here).
The recovery so far has been slow, and it continues to be, but today is the first day I’ve been out by myself and have been able to walk at a relatively normal speed and feel vaguely “normal” again. It’s a welcome feeling after yesterday. Yesterday I shot a recipe for the first time in a couple of weeks and it felt like SUCH a struggle. I know I should really be taking these full two weeks to rest and recover, but I started worrying about getting behind because I have some Christmas projects coming up. Anyway, it just reminded me I do still need to take it a bit easy and let my body heal properly.
I’m so grateful for all the wonderful and supportive messages I’ve received from so many of you, they really do mean the world to me, and I can’t wait to get back to creating and shooting recipes regularly again!
In the meantime, let’s curl up on the sofa with a blanket and some vegan chai tea lattes!
Dairy-Free Chai Tea Lattes
Chai Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Cardomom
- 1.5 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp All Spice
- pinch of Nutmeg
- 1-2 tbsp Chai Spice Mix
- 2 Black Tea Bags
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Oat Milk can be replaced with any plant milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup or other natural sweetener
- Coconut Whip Cream optional
- Heat the water in a medium sized saucepan with 1-2 tablespoons of the chai spice mix*. Bring to a boil. once boiling, turn off the heat and let the mixture steep for 5 minutes. Add the teabags and maple syrup and return the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, again turn off the heat and allow to steep for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the teabags and pour the mixture evenly into two cups through a seive to remove any excess spices.
- Heat up your oat milk and pour into the mugs to mix with the tea. Add some coconut whip on top with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
0 thoughts on “Dairy-Free Chai Tea Lattes”
This looks delicious Lauren, I can’t wait to try them! Do keep taking it easy ?