This recipe for an indulgent, moist vanilla layer cake covered in chocolate orange frosting is definitely a treat! Topped with chocolate eggs and macarons, this cake is a real show-stopper!
What other time of year can you really go overboard on the chocolate besides Easter?
I mean, I know that’s not what Easter is about, but that’s beside the point of this cake.
Whether or not you celebrate Easter in the traditional sense, I guarantee you will enjoy this cake!
It’s a basic, moist vanilla cake sandwiched with layers of smooth chocolate orange cream cheese frosting.
It’s really, really decadent, but it’s absolutely delicious, and a real centerpiece for an Easter meal!
If you love cake, this is the recipe for you, it’s a foolproof recipe that always turns out well for me.
There’s no leveling necessary on the cakes as they bake pretty much flat, and the frosting is so addictive, you’ll want to just eat it off the spoon!
It’s a chocolate lover’s dream cake… so get stuck in!
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5.6 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 20 oz caster sugar
- 17 oz all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 480 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 42 oz icing sugar
- 7 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 18 oz cream cheese
- 4.5 oz cocoa powder
- 2 oranges zest
- Preheat the oven to 338⁰ F (170⁰ C). Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 by 1, beating between each addition.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt until evenly distributed. Add the vanilla extract to the milk. Add the flour to the butter/sugar mix in 3 parts, alternating with the milk. Once everything is added, mix on a low speed until you have a completely smooth batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl inbetween if necessary.
- Split the cake batter between the 3 cake tins equally and bake for 25-35 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter for 5-6 minutes on a high speed until white and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and mix in slowly. Add the cream cheese and cocoa powder and mix slowly until everything is combined. Beat again on a high speed for a further 5-7 minutes until you have a light frosting.
- To assemble the cake, add a layer of frosting between each layer, then completely cover the outside of the cake. Top with chocolate eggs and macarons (this is optional!) To make the macaron shells I used my basic macaron recipe and filled them with some of the frosting from this cake recipe.