The ultimate vegan breakfast burrito. Stuffed full of breakfast goodness from scrambled chickpeas to fresh avocado, this really is the best way to start your day!
Is there much better in life than an epic brunch? Whenever we have people over, I love having them for brunch, it’s such a fun meal of the day. This vegan breakfast burrito is full of fun, delicious elements that prove vegan food is definitely NOT boring…
Related: Epic Smoothie Bowls 3 Ways
For the scramble, I used chickpeas. I’ve seen lots of recipes around for tofu scramble, and while I like it, I think chickpeas give a bit more flavour and texture. The chickpeas are coated in a delicious blend of spices to bring them to life!
Now for the “bacon” layer… I don’t often use meat replacements in my recipes, in fact, I can’t really remember the last time I did, but how could I make the ultimate breakfast burrito without some vegan bacon? Seitan, also known as “wheat meat”, is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch is gone, leaving behind an elastic dough of gluten. On it’s own, it doesn’t taste of much, but it’s got a great, springy texture, which when seasoned to perfection and shallow fried, makes the perfect addition to this vegan breakfast burrito.
To finish off this epic breakfast, we add some fresh spinach, avocado, roasted peppers and tomatoes and some salsa, it’s really everything you could want in a breakfast!
No-Egg Breakfast Burrito
- 4 wholewheat wraps
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 7-8 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
- Fresh Spinach
- 1 can (14ov/400g) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 pinch Ground Turmeric
- 100 g (3.5oz) Seitan
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Slice the green bell pepper into strips and place on a flat baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes. Roast for 20-25 minutes until soft and a little charred.
- Meanwhile, mash the chickpeas using the back of a fork, or quickly pulse them in the food processor until they are chunky. Mix with all the spices and stir so everything is coated.
- Use a vegetable peeler to slice the seitan into very thin strips, then mix with all the spices and toss so all the pieces are coated.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Place the chickpeas on one side, and the seitan on the other side and cook for 5-10 minutes until completely hot all the way through. Stir both sides frequently.
- Assemble the burritos with the seitan, chickpeas, some roasted peppers and tomatoes, fresh spinach, avocado, and salsa. Serve immediately.
0 thoughts on “No-Egg Breakfast Burrito”
The breakfast burrito looks EPIC! I love that you used chickpea in place of eggs, so creative!
Thanks so much! I absolutely adore chickpeas and they work great here!
I would gobble this wrap up for breakfast!! :D Chickpea scrambles are the best!
Thanks Sarah! I totally agree, chickpeas are awesome!