I mentioned a few days ago that I’ve got gorgeous ripe strawberries in my garden right now.
I put in 25 “Seascape” strawberry plants last year, and I’m so happy I did! The Seascape is an everbearing strawberry, so you get a very nice crop in the spring and the fall.
I love strawberries plain, in jam, and in desserts, but I also like to add them to salads. This simple, yet elegant, Strawberry Almond and Goat Cheese Salad Recipe is one of my favorites.
If you don’t have fresh strawberries, though, any fresh (or even dried) berry would work here (as would chopped apple or pear), and you can swap out the almonds for walnuts, pecans, or another nut/seed of your choice, if you like.
Other notes about the recipe: Boucheron is a French cheese made from goat’s milk. It’s a bit firmer and has a stronger flavor than most goat’s cheese. I picked some up at the phenomenal Murray’s cheese shop in NYC a few months ago, but I recently found it in my town, as well. If you can’t find it, you can use your favorite goat’s cheese/chevre, or try it with feta cheese. For the greens, I used organic mixed green and red lettuces from a local farm, but you could use mesclun greens, baby spinach, arugula,etc….whatever you have on hand will work.
I like to make this as a composed salad, so I’ve written the recipe for one salad. You can easily scale the ingredients up for 2-4 salads, or feel free to make this into a tossed salad for a larger group.
Keep in mind that this is the type of recipe that doesn’t need to be exact, so feel free to add a little more or less of anything as you see fit.
More Strawberry Salad Inspiration:
Favorite Summer Strawberry Salad from Chaos in the Kitchen
Strawberry, Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Salad from Palachinka
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Dressing from Two Peas and Their Pod
This is my entry for this week’s edition of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday over at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free!
Recipe for Mixed Green and Strawberry Salad with Almonds and Goat Cheese
- *1- 1/2 cups loosely packed organic greens cleaned and torn into bite-size pieces
- *3-4 trimmed and sliced preferably organic strawberries
- *about 8 whole almonds toasted (I used Marcona almonds with sea salt)
- *crumbled Boucheron or other goat's cheese
- *freshly ground black pepper
- *a generous drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar
- *about 1 tablespoon of your best olive oil
- Place the salad greens on your serving plate and arrange the sliced strawberries on top. Add the almonds and the cheese and then fresh pepper from a few twists of your pepper mill. Drizzle all over with the aged balsamic, and then add the olive oil.