I’ve only ever purchased coconut milk in cans before, and I use those cans for soups and other recipes where I am looking for a creamy product with really distinct coconut taste. Pacific’s coconut milk is entirely different. It tastes light, mildly sweet (it’s sweetened with coconut water only), and quite hydrating/refreshing. It contains notable amounts of vitamin b12, vitamin D, and potassium, as well.
I’ve been playing around with different oatmeal recipes lately, and decided to try cooking my steel-cut oats in Pacific’s Original Coconut Milk instead of water or regular milk. I like how the coconut milk imparted a subtle sweetness to the cooked oatmeal. I portioned out the steel-cut oats cooked with coconut milk and added pomegranate seeds, toasted walnuts, plain yogurt, and a little unsweetened coconut as a garnish, then drizzled some pomegranate molasses on top to finish. So good!
Disclosure: Pacific Foods sent me 6 samples of their BPA-free, shelf-stable, organic coconut milk to try and I am being compensated for recipe development and the work put into creating this post; all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own.
Recipe for Steel-Cut Oats with Coconut, Pomegranate, and Walnuts
For the oatmeal:
- *1 cup steel-cut oats
- *4 cups 1 box Pacific Original Organic Coconut Milk (or use one of the unsweetened varieties)
For each serving:
- *3/4 cup steel-cut oats cooked in Pacific coconut milk
- *1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- *1/4 to 1/2 cup plain yogurt use a dairy-free yogurt if you like, or omit
- *toasted walnuts unsweetened coconut flakes, and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses for garnish- to taste
- 1. Cook the steel-cut oats according to the package directions, using coconut milk instead of water or regular milk (if you buy your oats in bulk, you'll want to bring them to a boil in the liquid, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes).
- 2. Portion out 3-4 servings and top each one with pomegranate seeds, plain yogurt (optional), walnuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, and some pomegranate molasses. Serve immediately or store uneaten portions in the refrigerator until ready to serve.