I am hosting weekend herb blogging this week! If you’d like to participate, you can find more information here.
My assignment for this month’s secret recipe club was to make something from a new-to-me blog: Cookaholic Wife. Nichole clearly enjoys cooking and baking all sorts of recipes, but this healthy cucumber salad caught my eye right away.
This recipe is really easy, and it’s such a flavorful way to prepare cucumbers. Nichole adapted her recipe from this Korean cucumber salad, and I went ahead and adapted it a bit more.
A mandoline makes light work of slicing the cucumbers thin (I use this one), but you might prefer to just cut your cucumbers into bite-size pieces. Seedless cucumbers would be great here, but I used the standard variety. I forgot to add the toasted sesame seeds, but do think they’d make a nice addition.
I used spring onions from our garden which are a little different from traditional green onions/scallions, but you can feel free to use whatever type is available to you.
I really enjoyed this, and look forward to making it again when I have homegrown carrots and cucumbers from my garden. Thanks to Nichole for turning me on to this great summer salad (which coincidentally is a perfect side dish for the Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans).
Recipe for Spicy Sesame Cucumber Salad
- *2 medium cucumbers preferably homegrown or organic, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandoline to slice my cucumbers)
- *1 carrot peeled and sliced into thin discs (I used a mandoline for this)
- *1-2 tablespoons minced green onion bottom parts only
- *2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- *2 teaspoons sesame oil
- *2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- *1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- *a splash of tamari or soy sauce or a pinch of sea salt
- *1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish- optional
- 1. Place sliced cucumbers in a medium bowl. Allow to rest for 10 minutes or so, then pour off any liquid that's been exuded from the cucumbers.
- 2. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Chill before serving, or enjoy at room temperature.