Vegan Quinoa and Kidney Bean Burgers. These baked burgers are perfect sandwiched in a nice bun with your favourite burger extras!
We all need a good veggie burger in our lives, these simple, baked burgers are super easy to put together and certainly pack a punch with flavour! They are seasoned with some chilli powder, a little ground cumin and some soy sauce which adds a deep, subtle saltiness. The quinoa offers a valuable dose of protein and adds texture, while the outside of the burgers get nice and crispy in the oven, the inside remains soft and moist.
Throw it in your favourite bun with some fun toppings and you’ve got yourself a vegan burger even meat eaters will love!
Quinoa and Kidney Bean Burgers
- 1/4 cup (50g) Uncooked Quinoa
- 1/2 cup (115ml) Water
- 1/2 A White Onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 (400g/14oz) can Kidney Beans
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the quinoa and water in a saucepan and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat so that it’s simmering. Cook until all the water has been absorbed by the quinoa, then fluff it up with a fork.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans and place them in a large bowl. Mash thoroughly with a fork.
- Dice the onion and saute on a medium heat with a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent. Mince the garlic clove and add to the pan, stir it around and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chilli powder and cumin to the onion mix and cook for 2 minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add the whole mixture to the bowl with the beans.
- Also add the quinoa into the bean bowl with the soy sauce and mix everything together. If desired, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 4 burgers about 1 inch thick. Place on a flat baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 minutes. Then, carefully flip the burgers using a spatula and bake for another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for around 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with your favourite burger toppings in a bun of your choice!