A delicious, sweet parsnip and apple soup, loaded with lentils and roasted vegetable crisps
Guys, it’s happened. We’re 3 days away form the end of our vegan advent calendar and I’m SICK!!! I think I knew this was coming for a while. I’ve been working like CRAZY to make this happen for the last few weeks and I’ve known I’ve been exhausted for a while… But don’t worry, all the posts will still be coming!
It’s no surprise I love me some soup. Recently I’ve made this roasted garlic, leek and tomato soup, and this 5 ingredient pea and mint soup. In these cold season, I just don’t think you can beat a nice warm, comforting soup.
By combining parsnip and apple together, you have two quite sweet dominant flavours. But add in some onion, garlic, vegetable stock and a touch of curry powder for good measure, and you’re left with a soup that encompasses that wonderful sweet/salty combo we all love.
However, for me a soup is not complete until it’s crowned with toppings. in this case, I wanted something hearty and earthy (hence the black lentils) and some bright, crisps flavour, that wasn’t croutons. So I tried out vegetable crisps and Oh. My. Gosh. Winner.
A bowl of this just before Christmas (or just after to use up any leftover parsnips), will warm you through to your bones, which we all need right now.
Parsnip and Apple Soup with Black Lentils and Vegetable Crisps
- 2 White Onions
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 600 g Parsnips cut into 1 inch chunks
- 400 g Apples cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- Cooked Black Lentils
- Sliced Spring Onion
- Chilli Flakes
- Root Vegetable Crisps
- Heat 1 tablespoon Olive Oil in the bottom of a large stockpot. Roughly chop the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Mince the garlic cloves, add and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the parsnip, apple and curry powder and stir so everything is coated, cook for 1-2 minutes then add the vegetable stock and simmer for 30 minutes, until the parsnip is completely soft.
- Using a blender or a stick blender, blend the soup until completely smooth. This soup is very thick as it comes, so if you like your soup a little thinner, add some more vegetable stock until you get the consistency you desire.
- Top with the toppings suggested above and enjoy!
0 thoughts on “Parsnip and Apple Soup with Black Lentils and Vegetable Crisps”
Hi! Of course, thanks so much for including me!
Thank you so much Laurel! I hope you love it as much as I do!!
I hope you feel better ASAP!! A huge bowl of soup always helps me feel better when I’m under the weather in the winter.
This might be the most stunning parsnip soup I’ve ever seen. Using the root veggie chips on top is such a great idea, and they add a lovely pop of color! I literally just photographed a roasted cauliflower soup (which is delicious) but man, the lack of color was killin’ me. Will definitely give the beet chips a try next time. :)
Cauliflower soup sounds AWESOME! Such an underrated vegetable. Can’t wait to see the recipe!
O no! Get better fast, dear! This soup sure will help though!! Looks so cozy!