This simple recipe for oil free pesto is totally vegan and features basil, cashew nuts and avocado. It’s a super simple, staple dinner that’s whipped up in no time!
Pesto is one of the best, most versatile recipes to have in your arsenal, but it’s pretty heavy on the oil. Now I’m certainly not oil phobic, but having an alternative oil free pesto up my sleeve comes in handy when I still fancy pesto, but want something a little lighter.
You can customise this pesto in so many different ways by switching out the herbs and nuts, for example, try using arugula and walnuts with a few green onions thrown in for a more spicy version! This particular pesto omits the oil altogether and replaces it with avocado, making it a lighter option, but still totally creamy and decadent.
This pesto is great tossed with your favourite spaghetti, (I used wholewheat, but you could use gluten free, or any other kind of pasta you like). It would also make a great sandwich spread to jazz up that lunch just a little bit more! You could even just drizzle it over your favourite salad for a great dressing.
This oil free pesto is totally fool proof, once you’ve made it, either use it straight away, store it in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze it in an ice cube tray to have portions ready to go any time.
Oil Free Pesto with Basil and Avocado
- 1 cup (40g) Fresh Basil (packed)
- 1/2 a Ripe Avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup (30g) Cashew Nuts
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Place all the ingredients except for the water into a food processor and blitz until everything is smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- While the food processor is running, add in the water 1 tbsp at a time until you have a creamy pesto.
- Serve with your favourite kind of pasta, I chose wholewheat spaghetti. This makes about enough pesto for four portions of pasta.