Organic macaroni and cheese is pretty much always in my cupboard: it’s an easy, delicious treat I can cook up when we happen to be low on fresh food. Lately I have discovered that I really enjoy “embellishing” boxed macaroni and cheese. So when the folks from Horizon asked me to come up with an “adventurous” recipe featuring one of their products, I was excited to do so.
This recipe for Mac and Cheese with Pancetta and Peas is really tasty and cooks up quickly. It’s perfect for kids with more “advanced” palettes (my teenage son is a big fan) as well as adults. Since the peas are frozen and the pancetta and jarred roasted red peppers both keep for quite a while in the refrigerator, this is a great recipe to file away for those days when you feel like you have nothing in the house to cook. Drizzling the finished Mac and Cheese with a bit of truffle oil is optional, but highly recommended.
For more mac and cheese ideas, please check out the Horizon Mac and Cheese Pinterest Board!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.
Recipe for Mac and Cheese with Pancetta and Peas
- *1 package Horizon Classic Mac or Organic Mac I used the Pasta Shells with White Cheddar Cheese
- *1/4 cup milk
- *2 tablespoons butter
- *2 rounded tablespoons finely chopped pancetta or bacon
- *1 cup frozen peas
- *1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red pepper
- *Freshly ground black pepper- optional
- *Black or white truffle oil for drizzling on top of the finished Mac and Cheese- optional
- 1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the Horizon Mac and Cheese package.
- 2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium and cook the pancetta for several minutes, until starting to brown. Add the peas and the chopped roasted red pepper and cook for another minute or two, until the peas are cooked through.
- 3. Drain the pasta and add the cheese packet from the Mac and Cheese package, the milk, and the butter. Add the cooked pancetta, peas, and the roasted red pepper and stir to everything to combine.
- 4. Serve right away, topped with the freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of the truffle oil, if desired.