Vegan Lemongrass Coconut Noodle Soup. Absolutely packed full of flavour and texture!
People often ask me where I get my ideas from for recipes, and this particular one came after eating a delicious lemongrass noodle soup at an Asian restaurant a few months ago. I’ve been obsessed with recreating the flavours ever since and I’m finally so happy to share this recipe with you!
The broth is infused with ginger, garlic, lemongrass, lime juice, chilis and toasted spices. Altogether the base is similar to the vegan red curry paste I made recently, but a little more heavy on the citrus ;). Rather than making a curry, the broth of this soup is a mix of coconut milk and vegetable broth to give it a nice thin, yet rich texture.
This super simple soup is absolutely packed with citrus flavours and great texture. It’s a really easy recipe to make at home and I guarantee you’ll love it!
Lemongrass and Coconut Noodle Soup
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk Lemon Grass
- 1 inch Piece of Fresh Ginger
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 Red Chillis (I used medium but you can use hotter if you like lots of spice!)
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce (or sub tamari for a gluten free option)
- 1 (200g) block Tofu
- 1 Carrots
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 2 cups (170g) Mushrooms
- 1 (400g) can Coconut Milk
- 2 cups (550ml) Vegetable Broth
- 200 g Rice Noodles (dry weight)
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- First make the base for the soup. Toast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a dry pan on a medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant. Peel the ginger and chop the woody part off of the lemongrass stalk. Chop everything into small chunks and place into a blender. Blend for 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Chop the tofu into 1 inch chunks and fry for 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip the pieces and cook for a further 4 minutes until golden brown. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Chop the carrot, red onion and red pepper into strips that are roughly the same size. This will help them cook evenly. Heat a little oil in a large sauce pan and saute the vegetables with the blended base ingredients for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and vegetable brother and bring to a simmer.
- While the soup is simmering, place the rice noodles into a heatproof bowl and cover with just boiled water. Let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain.
- Slice the mushrooms and fry in a small pan until golden brown. Then Slice the spring onion into thin slices.
- Assemble the soup by first placing some rice noodles in the bottom of a dish, then topping with some of the soup mixture, some tofu, mushrooms and fresh spring onion. Sprinkle on a few sesame seeds if desired.
0 thoughts on “Lemongrass Coconut Noodle Soup”
Just made this, absolutely amazing!
Oh my gosh!!! I’m going to make a variation of this tonight!! I love lemon grass infused coconut milk broths! The best!!
Yes!!! It’s one of my absolute favourites so far! I hope you love it!