Homemade Peach Ice Tea. Simple and absolutely perfect for the summertime, this cooling drink will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!
Ahhh ice tea, my favourite summer drink. Peach ice tea specifically, actually. In Switzerland, ice tea is everywhere, it’s mostly the brand “Nestea”, which is ok, but I find it overly sweet, so don’t drink much of it. I wanted to make my own version at home, partly because the grocery stores are full of the most beautiful peaches right now, and partly I wanted to control how much sweetness was added, without compromising on peachy flavour!
Related: Why you should be grilling your stone fruits this summer
This ice tea is made with green tea leaves, steeped overnight in cold water. By steeping it in cold water, the tea will gradually release it’s flavour, avoiding a bitter, over brewed taste. You also let fresh peaches sit in the tea while it’s steeping, encouraging a gentle peach flavour to infuse all the way through.
Now, I don’t like my peach ice TOO sweet, but I do like it a little sweeter than just plain green tea. By making a homemade peach syrup to go with the tea, you get to decide exactly how sweet you want it, whilst adding even more peach flavour.
One of the best things we’ve done this summer is purchase a dining set for our balcony. Living in an apartment means we don’t really have an outdoor space, so making the most of this little balcony space is essential. I can honestly say since we bought it, we’ve spent nearly every day it’s been sunny sitting out there. I’m actually currently waiting for Ben to get home from work so we can go and sit out there tonight, and this time, there’s peach ice tea to go with it!
I can’t believe how quickly the summer is flying by. Kids here are already going back to school and the vacation season is coming to an end. I hope the warm weather sticks around a bit longer as I’m just not ready to say goodbye for this year yet. So while it lasts, you’ll find me sitting outside sipping on a glass of this peach ice tea. Join me, won’t you?
Homemade Peach Ice Tea
- 2 Peaches variety of your choice
- 1.5 litres Cold Water
- 2 teaspoons Loose Green Tea Leaves
- 2 Peaches
- 1 cup (200 g) Caster Sugar
- 1 cup (236 ml) Water
- Make the ice tea the night before you want to serve it. Slice the peaches and add them to a large glass jug or container and cover with the cold water.
- Add the green tea into a diffuser and place into the jug with the water and peaches. Let steep overnight or for at least 8 hours. Remove the diffuser but leave the peaches in. If you don’t like your ice tea sweetened, you can drink it just like this.
- To make the peach syrup, roughly chop the peaches and add to a non stick saucepan with the sugar and water. Stir thoroughly and heat until boiling.
- Once boiled, reduce to a simmer and smash the peaches slightly to release more flavour. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the whole mixture to cool in the saucepan for at least an hour before straining. Once cooled, strain through a sieve and store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To assemble the drink with the syrup, add 1 tablespoon of syrup for every 1 serving of peach ice tea.