This pumpkin shake is like cool and creamy pumpkin pie in a glass.
You know I love me some smoothies: I’ll put just about anything in my Blendtec and call it breakfast. This particular shake is one of my favorites for fall: I usually make it with homemade pumpkin puree (I had plenty left over after I made this pumpkin clafouti), but you are welcome to use canned pumpkin, if you prefer.
I like to add raw egg yolks to my smoothies because they are an excellent source of protein, omega-3 fats, and fat-soluble vitamins (including vitamin D). If you are going to consume the yolks raw, though, you should only use the very freshest, organic and free-range eggs…my hens recently started laying so now I have my own eggs.
If you can’t find high enough quality eggs (or if eating raw egg yolks just does not appeal to you), you can boost the protein content of this shake by adding your favorite protein powder, or you could add some organic nut/seed butter or Greek yogurt.
Pumpkin Shake Recipe
- *2 egg yolks or 1 serving vanilla protein powder rice or whey-based is preferred
- *1 cup of homemade pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin preferably organic
- *1 cup raw or organic milk or use coconut milk for a vegan smoothie
- *1 banana preferably previously peeled and frozen
- *1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- *2 teapoons pure maple syrup or raw honey
- *pinch of nutmeg-optional
- 1. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add several ice cubes and blend again, if desired. Serve immediately.