Life got in the way of the last two Gluten Free Ratio Rally events for me, but when I saw that participants were making cake this month, I just had to get back in on the fun.
The purpose of the Ratio Rally is to get us more comfortable and confident baking gluten-free by using ratios. What are ratios? Ratios are proportions of one ingredient to another. When you bake gluten-free by weights and ratios, you can let your creativity soar and customize recipes to your dietary needs and wants.
Remember my birthday cake? It was SO yummy, and I really wanted to make a gluten free version…here’s what I came up with, in cupcake form. I used Ruhlman’s Sponge Cake Ratio (which was recommended by this month’s GFRR host Kate, and which is 1 part flour: 1 part sugar: 1 part butter: 1 part eggs/egg whites only in this case), and looked once more to cake baker extraordinaire Sweetapolita for recipe inspiration. The frosting I used was leftover from my birthday cake, actually- it’s Rosie’s Whipped Vanilla Bean Buttercream- and you can find the recipe here (note that Rosie’s recipe makes quite a lot, and you probably won’t need the whole amount for one batch of cupcakes).
Despite kind of winging it with the flour combination I used, I thought these were pretty awesome! Good thing I’ve been doing lots of exercise lately…
Please check out all the other cakes made by GFRR participants!
GF Banana Rum Cupcakes with Rum Glaze (alcohol-free!) by Claire @ Gluten Freedom
GF Basic White Birthday Cake by Kate @ Gluten Free Gobsmacked
GF Cake by Ratio by Shauna @ Gluten Free Girl
GF Boston Cream Pie by Britt @ GF in the City
GF Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Dupes by Erin @ The Sensitive Epicure
GF Chocolate Pistachio Pound Cake by Amie @ The Healthy Apple
GF Coconut Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes by Gretchen @ Kumquat-Blog
GF Confetti Cake by MaryFran @ FrannyCakes
GF Czech Cherry Bublanina by Rachel @ The Crispy Cook
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes by Caroline @ The G-Spot
GF Frangelico Cupcakes with Nutella by Lisa @ Gluten Free Canteen
GF Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Cake by Caneel @ Mama Me Gluten Free
GF Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins by Marla @ Family Fresh Cooking
GF Lemon Tea Cake by Kate @ KateAlice Cookbook
GF Mocha Buttercream Yellow Birthday Cake by Dr. Jean Layton @ GF Doctor Recipes
GF Nina’s Hot Milk Cake by Charissa @ Zest Bakery
GF Tiramisu Cake by TR Crumbley @ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
GF Traditional Birthday Cake by Karen @ Cooking – Gluten Free!
GF White Cake with Apricots & Blueberries by Brooke @ B and the Boy
GF White Chocolate Cupcakes by Caleigh @ Gluten Freek(k)
Recipe for Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- *6 ounces/170 grams egg whites at room temperature (I use the eggs from my own hens)
- *1/2 cup whole milk at room temperature I use organic raw milk, divided
- *2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- *6 ounces/170 grams gluten free flour I used a combination of 2 ounces coconut flour, 2 ounces brown rice flour, and 2 ounces potato starch
- *6 ounces/170 grams organic sugar
- *1 tablespoon baking powder
- *1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- *6 ounces/170 grams organic butter at room temperature and cut into cubes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites with 1/4 cup of milk and the vanilla. Set aside.
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together on low speed for 30 seconds.
- 4. Add the butter cubes and remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Mix on low speed until the butter has been incorporated. Increase to medium speed and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- 5. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the egg mixture in 3 separate batches; beat on medium speed for 20-30 seconds after each addition.
- 6. Pour or scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool on racks completely before frosting the cupcakes.