These pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, adapted from talented gluten-free blogger and cookbook author Elana Amsterdam, are dense and extremely moist, with the perfect amount of seasonal pumpkin flavor. Adding the chocolate chips is optional, but highly recommended.
I baked these in this cute muffin tin I took home from the Frigidaire/Save the Children event (courtesy of Williams-Sonoma). If you are using a regular muffin tin, just keep in mind that these muffins don’t rise all that much, so you can fill the muffin cups almost to the top.
I made these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins twice: once with well-drained homemade pumpkin purée and once with organic canned pumpkin: there was little to no difference in taste/texture.
If you choose not to add the chocolate chips, you can drizzle a little extra maple syrup on top of the muffins before serving, if you like.
This post is linked to Happy Post-Pumpkin Recipes over at Family Fresh Cooking
Recipe for Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- *3 cups blanched almond flour
- *1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- *1 teaspoon baking soda
- *2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- *4 tablespoons melted organic butter plus more for greasing the muffin pan (you could also use paper liners)
- *2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- *3 large eggs preferably organic and free-range
- *1 cup well packed homemade pumpkin purée or canned organic pumpkin purée
- *1 cup semi-sweet bittersweet or dark all-natural chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli bittersweet/60%; I suggest Enjoy Life brand if you need the chocolate chips to be gluten-free)
- 1. Combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- 2. In a blender or food processor, mix melted butter, maple syrup, eggs and pumpkin until very smooth.
- 3. Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- 4. Grease muffin tins with additional melted butter.
- 5. Scoop batter into muffin tins. They probably won't rise too much, so you can fill the tins almost to the top.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7. Allow to cool before serving.