A simple, rich, mango curry with tofu. Bursting with fresh, fruity flavour and deep spices.
Curries are one of my favourite things to make, they pack SO much flavour and are always pretty simple and quick. This fresh mango curry is no exception. The sauce includes fresh mango puree, which adds a delicate sweetness, complimenting the ginger and earthy spices.
Related: Vegetable Curry with Turmeric Coconut Sauce
You can use canned mango puree in this, but I’ve had best results when blending up a fresh mango myself. With that being said, if you’re going to use a whole mango, it is SO important that the mango is juicy and ripe! If it’s under ripe, you’ll just end up with a pretty bland curry, and that’s sad :(
The idea of sweet and savoury is not a new one, and as weird as having fruit in a curry might seem, it’s been around for a long time and is frequently seen in many cuisines. For example there are lots of fruity Jamaican curry’s, lots of middle eastern dishes include dried fruits in couscous etc, and in more modern times, we’ve latched onto combinations like salt and caramel, salt and chocolate, peanut butter and chocolate.
I promise you’ll absolutely love this mango and tofu curry, it’s quick, simple and a great dinner for sharing with friends!
Fresh Mango and Tofu Curry
- 1 block (200g) Firm Tofu
- 1 White Onion
- 1 inch Piece of Fresh Ginger (peeled)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 tsp Chilli Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Mango Puree*
- 1 can (400g/14oz) Coconut Milk
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Fresh Coriander
- Soy/Coconut Yoghurt
- Chop the tofu into 1 inch cubes. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry for 5-7 minutes, turning the pieces until they are golden brown on all sides. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Place the onion, ginger and garlic into a food processor or blender, and blitz until you have a smooth puree. Heat another large skillet with a teaspoon of oil and fry the puree with the chilli paste, garam masala and ground cumin for 10-15 minutes on a medium/high heat until most of the moisture is gone.
- Add the mango, coconut milk, bay leaves and salt and stir so everything is combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the tofu and stir in so it's coated with sauce, then simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thick.
- Serve with rice, fresh coriander and a drizzle of soy or coconut yoghurt.
0 thoughts on “Fresh Mango and Tofu Curry”
very yummy!! will keep this in my recipe repertoire!
Yay! It’s one of our household favourites!
Thanks Stacey! I absolutely love the combination!
Mango curry sounds amazing!!! I’ve never tried making it myself! I’m pinning this for the future!!
This is such an amazing recipe, Lauren! I love adding mango to curry. So yummy and flavorful!
Thanks Nisha! It is one of my favourite combos! It just compliments so well!