My 91 year old grandma Lil died this morning. I learned of her passing right after I sent my son off to school: it’s his twelfth birthday, so I’m feeling sad and happy all at once today.
Downs. And Ups. Life seems just packed with them lately.
There is unrest in Libya.
There was Central Park on a gloriously beautiful day with my daughter.
Today it is cold and snowing.
Yesterday, I saw new growth on the strawberry plants in my garden.
Downs. And Ups.
My grandma Lil was one of a kind: a smart, resourceful, and resilient woman. She had a tough exterior, but was extremely generous and loving inside. Crispy Onions with Eggs was Lil’s favorite breakfast. It has been a while since we shared a meal, and we won’t be able to do so again, so I made these this morning in her honor.
I can only hope that I did this dish justice, Lil. Love and miss you. XOXO.
Crispy Onions with Eggs
- *2 teaspoons organic salted butter
- *1 medium organic onion peeled and diced
- *2 eggs preferably organic and free-range, whisked with a fork
- *splash of organic heavy cream-optional
- *coarse sea salt
- *white or black pepper
- 1. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is sizzling, toss in the diced onion.
- 2. Keeping the heat at medium-high, cook the onion for 4-5 minutes, stirring every now and then. Don't worry if some of the edges darken and burn a little- they are supposed to- these are crispy onions, remember? On the other hand, you don't want the onions to be black, so do turn the heat down a bit, if necessary.
- 3. When the onions are done (they should be well cooked, with some dark brown/black edges), turn off the heat. Mix whisked eggs with heavy cream and pour over the onions. Stir around with a wooden spoon- it won't take long for the eggs to be done because the pan was so hot- be careful not to overcook.
- 4. Transfer to a serving dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.