Summer’s heat sucks my energy and makes me cranky, but my summer garden inspires me.
I am inundated with cucumbers this year. Absolutely positively inundated. I cannot keep up! From only 2 plants, I’ve been harvesting many many cucumbers every day. And coming up with new and different ways to enjoy them.
I could have served this blended cucumber creation in a bowl and called it a cold soup, but what fun would that have been? A cucumber smoothie sounds so much more interesting. I threw some sorrel in because I grew it for the first time this year and I like it’s refreshingly sour flavor, but you could also try this with a handful of mint or basil, I think.
Since I’ve been on antibiotics for a couple of weeks for Lyme disease, I eat plain yogurt and other foods that are high in probiotics as often as I can. If you don’t eat dairy, some coconut milk might be nice in here.
More Fabulous Cucumber Recipes:
Cucumber Aqua Fresca from A Box of Kitchen
Avocado and Cucumber Gazpacho from Running with Tweezers
Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Cucumber Sorbet from Healthy Green Kitchen
Recipe for Cucumber Sorrel Smoothie
- * 2 medium-large organic cucumbers peel them for a smoother smoothie, chopped
- * a splash of all-natural buttermilk
- * a few tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt I like full-fat
- * 4-5 sorrel leaves or a handful of fresh mint
- * 1-2 teaspoons of honey or pure maple syrup
- * pinch of sea salt
- 1. Place chopped cucumbers in blender and add buttermilk to get the blender going.
- 2. Add yogurt, sorrel, honey, and salt and blend until smooth.
- 3. Chill before serving, if desired. Garnish with edible flowers (I used borage) if you have them.