I had a ton of ideas for the letter “C”…I considered couscous with chickpeas, challah, and a bunch of others, but I settled on this creamy coconut carrot soup with curry and cilantro…
This is a pretty soup that’s just perfect for cooler fall weather. Carrots (and sweet potato) are high in nutrients including beta-carotene and numerous minerals (many of which are fat-soluble); adding coconut milk to the soup not only makes it super delicious, the healthy fat helps your body absorb those fat-soluble nutrients that the vegetables contain.
Remember to use organic vegetables whenever possible…
Recipe for Coconut Carrot Soup
- *2 tablespoons coconut oil butter, or olive oil
- *1 large onion peeled and chopped
- *3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- *8 medium-large carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- *1 large sweet potato peeled and coarsely chopped
- *6 cups vegetable stock chicken stock, or water
- *2-3 tsp. curry powder or to taste
- *1/2-1 can of organic coconut milk
- *1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt or to taste
- *Finely chopped cilantro for garnish-optional
- 1. Heat oil or butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, for a few minutes.
- 2. Add carrot and sweet potato and cook for a few more minutes. Add the stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Add curry and mix well. Remove from heat.
- 3. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or, if you do not have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool a bit before transferring it in batches to process in a blender or food processor. Return pureed soup to the pot and add coconut milk. Heat over low heat until warmed through, adding more water or stock if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- 4. Add salt to taste and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.