Summer Barbecues… a vegan nightmare… or a dream? I like to think the latter! This chargrilled eggplant with carrot top pesto will be loved all round
Also, let’s just take a moment to talk about carrot tops! These amazing greens are too often thrown away, but do you know just how delicious they can be? They have quite a spicy flavour, a little bit like arugula (rocket) just not quite as strong. They make perfect pesto, so give it a try next time before you just throw them out!
Chargrilled Eggplant with Carrot Top Pesto
Servings: 6 people
- 4-6 Baby Eggplants (aubergines)
- Fresh Parsley For garnish
Carrot Top Pesto
- 1/4 cup (25g) Walnuts (toasted)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 bunch (about 2 cups) Carrot Tops
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- To make the pesto, lightly toast the walnuts until fragrant, then place into a food processor with the garlic clove. Blitz until finely chopped.
- Next, add in the chopped carrot tops and basil and blitz again until the carrot tops are finely chopped. Scrape down the sides, then with your food processor on low, gradually drizzle in the olive oil, again scraping down the sides as you go until everything is combined in a creamy pesto.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Mix together the tahini and lemon juice and set aside in another bowl.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthways. Head a griddle pan on high and grease with a little oil, then place the eggplants skin side down on the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes until the skins are blackened. Then flip them over and cook for another 10-12 minutes until the flesh is very soft.
- Once cooked, place the eggplant on a serving platter and smear each one with some pesto while still warm. Drizzle over some tahini, sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy.
0 thoughts on “Chargrilled Eggplant with Carrot Top Pesto”
Lauren, I’m soooo intrigued by that carrot top pesto! I’m definitely pinning this to try later! And photos are just gorgeous, as always!
Ahhh thank you Anna! Carrot top pesto is the best!