This has been one of the strangest winters I can remember. We’re in the third week of January and I’ve yet to see a single snowflake drop from the sky around here.
My kids aren’t exactly thrilled with the situation, but in addition to not having to shovel and navigate treacherous roads, a benefit of the lack of snow for me has been the continued ability to harvest lettuces from my garden.
I’m not sure what kind of lettuces these are, exactly, but they’re hearty enough to withstand the chilly temperatures we’ve been having and I am very impressed. Next fall, I’m planting tons more.
This is a salad I made a few times this past week after bringing home some organic Cara Cara oranges from my local natural foods market.
I also decided to layer in some raw Chioggia beet, which I sliced paper thin on a mandoline…chunks of roasted beet would also be tasty.
The scattering of cilantro made me happy, but mint or parsley could certainly be used instead.
I love the small amount of creamy, salty goat cheese on top, but if you’re vegan or just don’t like goat cheese (I don’t get you, but I won’t judge), you can certainly leave it out.
More citrus salads I’d like to eat:
Winter Citrus Salad with Mint Sugar from Two Tarts
Everybody Loves Sunshine Citrus Salad from My New Roots
Radicchio, Cara Cara, and Quinoa Salad from The Year in Food
Spinach, Feta, and Blood Orange Salad from Joy the Baker
Blood Oranges and Grapefruit with Spinach and Pomegranate Seeds from In Medias Recipe
Recipe for Orange, Beet, and Goat Cheese Salad
For the dressing:
- *1 minced garlic clove
- *1 tablespoon of olive oil
- *1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- *a pinch each of sea salt and raw sugar
For the salad:
- *organic baby greens- enough to cover your plate
- *1 Cara Cara or blood orange preferably organic, peeled and sliced cross-wise
- *1/2 medium sized beet peeled and sliced very thin (I used pretty “Chioggia” beet here, carefully sliced on a mandoline)
- *a sprinkling of minced cilantro or substitute parsley
- *crumbled goat cheese or substitute feta
- *generous pinch of crushed red pepper- optional
- 1. Mix dressing in a small bowl and set aside while you make the salad.
- 2. Make the salad by layering the greens, then the orange slices, then the beet slices, then the minced cilantro, then the goat cheese. Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes, if using.
- Spoon the dressing evenly over the top of the salad. Dig in with reckless abandon.