There’s something wonderful about pulling out a recipe that you just KNOW is going to work, but sometimes, it’s nice to jazz things up a bit. Everyone loves a slice of moist, vanilla cake, but who’s to say where the topping options can end? Here are 10 great ways to serve a pound cake, to suit anyone’s taste!
1. Greek Yoghurt, Honey and Almonds
Greek yoghurt is a hidden gem amongst the dairy aisle. It’s thick and creamy and provides the perfect base for sweet honey and some crunchy almonds.
2. Greek Yoghurt, Pistachio Nuts and Dried Cranberries
Breaking out the greek yoghurt again, this time topped with smooth pistachio’s and some sweet dried fruit. I love the contrast of the crunchy whole nuts with the soft chewy fruits.
3. Blueberries and Creme Fraiche
Blueberries are always a favourite of mine and creme fraiche makes a nice change to regular whipped cream. Together the pairing is delightful!
4. Banana, Honey and Greek Yoghurt
A classic combination. Once again our favourite Greek yoghurt is making an appearance. You really can’t go wrong where bananas and honey are concerned.
5. Greek Yoghurt and Fresh Passionfruit
Ever since I was a child I have been obsessed with passionfruit! When they are perfectly ripe, these fruits pack some of the most intense flavour out there. Like you cannot even imagine. If you have never tried a fresh passionfruit, go get some!
6. Creme Fraiche and Shaved Dark Chocolate
Need I say more?
7. Peaches ‘N Cream
It is just about the season for ripe, white peaches right now and they could not be sweeter. Try this classic combo on a moist vanilla cake for a fancy treat!
8. Dark Chocolate and Raspberries
I found this dark chocolate spread at my local grocery store and could not pass up the opportunity to buy it! Raspberries and chocolate are one of my favourite combinations as the sharp fruit cuts through the sweet chocolate.
9. Raspberries and Cream
Summer has really arrived when you break out the raspberries and cream.
10. Chocolate and Pear
Another epic combination that if you haven’t tried, you need to! Sweet pears enhance the dark chocolate’s flavour even more!
So there you have it, 10 fun toppings for a great cake. However, you have to get the base right in order to let these shine! So read on for the recipe for this loaf cake…
[cta id=”2723″ align=”none”]
Basic Vanilla Pound Cake
175g Butter (softened)
175g Caster Sugar
200g All Purpose Flour
2 and 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
50g Ground Almonds
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Tablespoons Milk
You will need
Standard sized 1lb Loaf Tin
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line the loaf tin with parchment paper.
1. Cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer. Add the eggs one and a time and thoroughly beat in between each addition.
2. Add the flour, baking powder and ground almonds and mix in, do not overmix at this stage.
3. Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top before putting into the oven.
4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to fully cool. Slice and enjoy!