Discover 10 delicious ways to elevate a classic Pound Cake! From decadent toppings to creative pairings, explore new dimensions of flavor in this American favorite. Transform a simple treat into a show-stopping dessert for any occasion with our mouthwatering recipes!
There’s something wonderful about pulling out a recipe that you just KNOW is going to work, but sometimes, it’s nice to jazz things up a bit.
Everyone loves a slice of moist, vanilla cake, but who’s to say where the topping options can end? Here are 10 great ways to serve a pound cake, to suit anyone’s taste!
1. Greek Yoghurt, Honey and Almonds
Greek yogurt is a hidden gem in the dairy aisle. It’s thick and creamy and provides the perfect base for sweet honey and some crunchy almonds.
2. Greek Yoghurt, Pistachio Nuts and Dried Cranberries
Breaking out the Greek yogurt again, this time topped with smooth pistachios and some sweet dried fruit. I love the contrast of the crunchy whole nuts with the soft chewy fruits.
3. Blueberries and Creme Fraiche
Blueberries are always a favorite of mine and creme fraiche makes a nice change to regular whipped cream. Together the pairing is delightful!
4. Banana, Honey, and Greek Yoghurt
A classic combination. Once again our favorite Greek yogurt is making an appearance. You really can’t go wrong where bananas and honey are concerned.
5. Greek Yoghurt and Fresh Passionfruit
Ever since I was a child I have been obsessed with passionfruit! When they are perfectly ripe, these fruits pack some of the most intense flavors out there.
Like you cannot even imagine, if you have never tried a fresh passionfruit, go get some!
6. Creme Fraiche and Shaved Dark Chocolate
Need I say more?
7. Peaches ‘N Cream
It is just about the season for ripe, white peaches right now and they could not be sweeter. Try this classic combo on a moist vanilla cake for a fancy treat!
8. Dark Chocolate and Raspberries
I found this dark chocolate spread at my local grocery store and could not pass up the opportunity to buy it!
Raspberries and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations as the sharp fruit cuts through the sweet chocolate.
9. Raspberries and Cream
Summer has really arrived when you break out the raspberries and cream.
10. Chocolate and Pear
Another epic combination that if you haven’t tried, you need to!
Sweet pears enhance the dark chocolate’s flavor even more!
So there you have it, 10 fun toppings for a great cake.
However, you have to get the base right to let these shine!
So read on for the recipe for this loaf cake…
Basic Vanilla Pound Cake
- 6.1 oz butter softened
- 6.1 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 7 oz flour all purpose
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1.7 oz almonds ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 338⁰F (170⁰C). Line the loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer. Add the eggs one and a time and thoroughly beat in between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and ground almonds and mix in, do not overmix at this stage.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top before putting into the oven.