Herbal medicine is one of my favorite forms of natural medicine. Even though I have been studying herbal medicine for years, I always feel there is still so much to learn about this fascinating subject.
You can learn about herbs from books and formal schooling, of course, and there are many websites with fantastic information. Two of my favorite herbal websites are Herbal Remedies Info- check out the herb and vitamin wall charts for sale on the site as these are beautiful and excellent for reference- and LearningHerbs.com. Another way to become familiar with herbs is to learn about the common ones (a.k.a. the wild plants) that thrive where you live. While many people see these as weeds and expend lots of energy trying to eradicate them, wild plants are some of the most potent herbal remedies and health-enhancing foods that exist.
Wild plants can make wonderful additions to your daily diet, and simple herbal preparations made from them, such as herbal infusions and herbal vinegars, are extremely nourishing tonics and home remedies. Once you begin to see common herbs such as dandelion, red clover, and nettles with fresh eyes, not as weeds but as health allies, your whole life will change.
Of course you could also plant your own organic herb garden. Keeping an organic herb garden can be a fun and extremely rewarding endeavor, as you will be growing herbs from which you will eventually make your own herbal medicines!
If you would like to do some further study about herbs and the numerous ways in which they can help you, here are some of my favorite books about herbal medicine:
- Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants by “Wildman” Steve Brill with Evelyn Dean
- Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair by Dina Falconi
- The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook by James Green
- Common Herbs for Natural Health by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
- Nature’s Children by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
- Healing Wise by Susun Weed
- Herbs for the Childbearing Year by Susun Weed
- The New Menopausal Years by Susun Weed
- Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar
- Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family by Rosemary Gladstar
- Growing 101 Herbs that Heal by Tammi Hartung
- The Complete Medicinal Herbal by Penelope Ody
- The Herbal Home Remedy Book by Joyce A. Wardwell