Happy Friday everyone! Today, instead of sharing an Eco-Friendly Friday post, I’d like to acknowledge that this week is my blog’s 2nd birthday :)
I really wanted to write something beautiful and profound about how much you, my readers, mean to me and how much joy I get out of this blog. Yet I am sitting here at my desk with a terrible sinus headache, a drippy nose, an achy, feverish body…and I just can’t get the words out.
So even though this healthy, green gal isn’t feeling very healthy today, please know that I do love this little space I’ve got going here on the interwebs, and I have loved sharing it with you for the past 2 years. I really hope to be feeling better next week, so I can taste the recipes I want to cook and blog about. In the meantime, in order to celebrate my blog’s birthday with you, here’s a chocolate chip cupcake recipe I submitted to food52 last year, but never got around to posting here.
This recipe isn’t all that healthy (special occasions call for indulgence, right?!), but it’s very easy and these were a hit with both kids and adults. Feel free to make a sheet cake or layered cake, if you prefer (though you’ll probably need to double the frosting ingredients if making a cake).
Recipe for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
Make 18-24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
* 1 1/2 cup white spelt flour or all purpose white flour
* 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use organic, fair-trade chocolate, if possible)
* 1 1/2 cup organic sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
* 1 cup organic sour cream
* 1/2 cup organic whole milk
* 4 eggs, preferably organic and free-range, beaten
* 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, melted
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup best quality semi-sweet chocolate chips (use organic, fair-trade chocolate, if possible)
For the frosting:
* 2 cups best quality chocolate chips, milk chocolate or semi-sweet (I used a combination of both; (use organic, fair-trade chocolate, if possible))
* 1 cup organic sour cream, at room temperature
For the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour through salt).
3. In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients (sour cream through vanilla extract).
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a rubber spatula.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour batter into cupcake tins that have been lined with paper liners or greased with melted butter.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool before removing from the pan.
8. You can serve these “as is”, dusted with a little organic powdered sugar, or topped with the following easy chocolate sour cream frosting.
For the frosting:
1. Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler (or use the microwave; about 1-2 minutes should do the trick).
2. Scrape the melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer and add the sour cream.
3. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two until smooth (you can also stir/whisk it by hand if you don't have a mixer).
4. Try to use the frosting as soon as you mix it; if you wait, it may become too thick to spread easily (you might also end up with some chocolate chunks). If this happens, you can warm it in a double boiler until it softens up and the chocolate melts fully again, though I personally don't mind a few chocolate chunks in my frosting!