Happy Earth Day and welcome to the third edition of Eco-Friendly Friday!
We’ve had lots of rain and cool temperatures for spring so far, but I’m finally seeing some beautiful things start to happen outside.
I am going to be spending the day, and much of the weekend, preparing my veggie garden for the upcoming season. Winter was rough so it’s looking pretty sad in there…I have so much to do! I’ve been allowing my chickens to forage in the garden area for the last few weeks since nothing was planted… this probably wasn’t the best plan as they’ve made quite a mess.
They’ve moved all the rocks along the fence around the garden, so now I need to move them all back :(
I’ll also be re-filling my raised beds with new soil and a top layer of compost because the existing contents settled so much over the winter. Lastly, I’ll spread lots and lots of mulch over the areas outside the raised beds in an effort to keep down the grasses and weeds that tend to grow. Once I get the raised beds all nicely filled out, I’ll be planting seeds including peas, carrots, beets, and some greens. I’m a little late getting started in the garden this year because the weather has been pretty crummy and just because I’ve been so busy.
So what are you doing to live greener these days? I want to know! Feel free to link to your eco-friendly blog content with the “linky tool” below. I’ll leave the linky up through Sunday 4/24/11.
A lot of topics fit comfortably under the eco-friendly umbrella, so I’d love to hear about the following:
* your organic gardening/small-scale farming efforts
* your support for local farms/farmer’s markets
* what you cook with your harvest/farmer’s market haul (includes recipes for canning and preserving)
* cooking efforts that save you money, cut down on packaging and allow you to eat better
* your composting and worm bin efforts
* your experiences keeping chickens, goats, cows, etc.
* your experiences with beekeeping
* your tips for recycling and reusing things around the house instead of throwing them away
* projects you’ve done that have improved the energy efficiency of your home
* green decor ideas
* recommendations for environmentally friendly products you use
* examples of how you’ve conserved energy and/or saved money by adopting a greener lifestyle
Here are the linking up guidelines:
* Please add a link to this post somewhere in your blog post entry stating that it’s a part of this week’s Eco-Friendly Friday over at Healthy Green Kitchen.
* Make sure to link to your individual post, not to your home page.
* Make sure your post contains some element of “eco-friendliness”.
* Please only link to one blog post per blog.
* When you link, please share the subject of your post; your name and the name of your blog are optional. Sample entry: Natural Beekeeping (Winnie @ Healthy Green Kitchen)
I’ve been bowled over by the support you all have given to me since I started Eco-Friendly Friday two weeks ago…to show my appreciation, I’m having a little giveaway!
These books have been in my library and they are very gently used. I love them all; I just have too many books and want to pass the information on to others who’d like to have it. The titles are:
1. The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food – to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously
2. Go Green Get Lean: Trim Your Waistline with the Ultimate Low-Carbon Footprint Diet
3. Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
4. Prescriptions for a Healthy House, 3rd Edition: A Practical Guide for Architects, Builders & Homeowners
5. Organic Gardening: The Natural No-Dig Way
I’m giving all 5 books to one lucky reader. To be eligible to win, all you have to do is leave a comment at the end of this post, and you can do so until 4/24/11 at midnight EST to be eligible. I’ll choose a winner using www.random.org…make sure I have your email address so I can notify you if you win. I will ship the books within the US or to Canada :)